Альтернативный текст

Robbie Williams Forum | Feelfine Stranger. Добро пожаловать на главный форум Робби Уильямса в России!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Альбом 'Life Thru A Lens' (1997)

Сообщений 31 страница 60 из 66

Трабл вообще одна из лучших у Робби.

ладно. не будем засорять тему)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1395374_510441475718758_788455800_n.jpg

Я ничего не хочу комментировать

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3vijeR0ZRs

http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/15/75/79/12/331.jpg

Отредактировано Better Man (04.11.2013 14:43)

Это жесть!!! Просто копия angels!! Даже музыка к видео не подходит!! И роб 10 секунд...капец если честно зачем Роб это позволил??(((

Этот видео ряд ассоциируется у меня только с Angels.
Одно радуют, хотя бы Олли не перепел песню Робби.

Speaking about his pop pal's new promo, Robbie said: "Imitation is the highest form of flattery. I am easily flattered, and I love Olly. We always have a good time together and this was no exception."

Speaking about the concept, Olly added: "I was really excited by the idea for this video and to get Rob involved was important to me. We had great fun filming it and I am so pleased it.s got his stamp of approval."

бррррррррр

Наконец-то по теме! :)

Angels - Killing Me - One Of God's Better People - Hello Sir

Masterpiece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01kw711
и т.д.

как бальзам на душу!:)

Вот, в спокойной обстановке послушал. Понравилось!

Роб достойно звучит для песен, которые 15 лет не исполнял, настолько приятно их слышать...

Почаще бы он вспоминал хотя бы на таких встречах старенькие композиции, правда?

Отредактировано Better Man (06.11.2013 22:45)

Насчет клипа Олли - фигня)
Насчет Masterpiece - я в восторге) Мои любимые песенки и также нежно спетые) Какая прелесть))) Я практически полностью счастлива) Спасибо Робу за бальзам на душу "старичков" )))

Слушал и конечно голосок у Роберта похуже чем на записях! Спокойные песни тихие, он исполняет уже с мужицким "бассом".

Люблю слушать живые выступления Робби, особенно перед небольшой аудиторией.
Как не прекрасны альбомные версии песен, но с живым исполнением мало что сравнится, когда Робби в форме, конечно :)

Слушал и конечно голосок у Роберта похуже чем на записях! Спокойные песни тихие, он исполняет уже с мужицким "бассом".

вот к чему это замечание? невозможно петь одним голосом всю жизнь. и уж тем более сравнивать со студийками...

вот к чему это замечание? невозможно петь одним голосом всю жизнь. и уж тем более сравнивать со студийками...

Чтоб тебя подразнить!

В этот день вышел альбом Life Thru A Lens.
Но The Verve - Urban Hymns был первым

Помню в Москве он тоже в этот день появился) Я ехала на Горбушку без денег и без надежды, а он оказался во всех палатках) Так приятно мне было)

Не слышал испанскую версию Old Before I Die. Записана в 2001

Певица:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejandra_Guzmn

Сегодня 20 лет Old Before I Die. Очуметь :)

Уже вроде стало пустячком, но все равно приятно :)

http://s2.uploads.ru/on3WK.jpg

Это не он, не надейся)) :D

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HHIAAOSwImRYh84T/s-l1600.jpg

В этот раз скромно и тем не менее отмечаем! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK4vfTZWkAA2KYl.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK4vgXwXoAAWgL8.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK4vhnnXkAAREpk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK4vjBgXoAAHZ42.jpg

Твой?

не

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjVXHXlW4AIR3TG.jpg

http://thejukeboxrebel.wikidot.com/local--files/images/robbie-williams-life-thru-a-lens.jpg

Robbie Williams had a 1995 to never forget, assuming he was ever in a state capable of recording the events that passed and, ultimately, defined the artist he soon became.

After drifting away from the other four members of all-conquering boyband Take That – his ideas were apparently overlooked by creative spearhead Gary Barlow, and his drug consumption threatened to see him excluded from the group before a mutual decision was finally made and he left relatively amicably – Williams wound up at Glastonbury, and was pap-snapped partying with members of the equally massive Oasis. Gossip columns flew into overdrive, and assumptions that a solo career beckoned were verified quickly enough when, the very next summer, Williams’ take on George Michael’s Freedom charted just a place shy of the top spot – that’s 26 places higher than the 1990 original.

That track didn’t make it onto Williams’ debut album of 1997, a collection of co-writes with Guy Chambers that, while mostly unremarkable when assessed as standalone arrangements, comprise the solid foundations for all that followed: seven further solo albums (2009’s Reality Killed the Video Star marks his return after three years out of the spotlight), several number one singles, more BRIT awards than any other artist, and total sales worldwide of over 55 million.

No single from Life Thru a Lens topped the singles chart in the UK, but the album certainly trumped all comers in its category, buoyed by both the celebrity status of its (co) maker and the catchy nature of whistle-along tunes like Lazy Days, Old Before I Die and the here-I-am-world-stop-me-if-you-can excessiveness of Let Me Entertain You, a song that’s less about collaborative enjoyment of music between artist and audience, and more about Williams puffing out his chest and adopting a swagger that would see him through until the comparatively melancholic overtones of second album, I’ve Been Expecting You.

And, of course, there’s Angels. It’s hard to believe, given its prominence at weddings and funerals, on mainstream radio and in supermarket aisles, that it only charted at four. But that’s the surprising fact of the matter. Less surprising is that Life Thru a Lens was just the beginning of a career that would eventually eclipse, commercially, that of even his former employers.

Mike Diver
https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/b96m/

https://www.musicmusingsandsuch.com/mus … wenty-five

SEPTEMBER 7, 2022
FEATURE: LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU: ROBBIE WILLIAMS' LIFE THRU A LENS AT TWENTY-FIVE

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/593070a42994cad2710a6439/23484ad5-aea9-4fff-98dd-34affa4d4a84/zzz.jpg

ROBBIE WILLIAMS' LIFE THRU A LENS AT TWENTY-FIVE

I am a bit surprised…

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/593070a42994cad2710a6439/c9bcf630-9c9d-4868-97fb-4e3cfad43c37/aaaaaaaaa.jpg?

that there has not really been a feature or documentary produced that explores and looks inside Robbie Williams’ debut solo album, Life Thru a Lens. It turns twenty-five on 29th September. Not only is it a great and very underrated album. It is one of the most anticipated solo albums of the 1990s. There is so much history and expectation associated with Life Thru a Lens. This was Williams' first solo album following his departure from Take That. He left Take That in 1995. It was clear that he would embark on music at some point down the line. When I was young and heard the news, I thought he might join another group. Perhaps the most likely member of Take That to go solo (even ahead of Gary Barlow), I suppose a solo Williams album was the best option. More influenced by Britpop and other genres, Life Thru a Lens is a more current (for the time) and more mature and edgier sound compared to that of Take That. In spite of the fact that there was this spotlight and media glare his way before the album’s release – the album cover gives you an idea of Williams’ actual day-to-day life! -, there is so much confidence from him throughout. Co-writing all tracks (most with his writing partner, Guy Chambers), I think Life Thru a Lens has not gained the sort of stature it deserves. There are a couple of filler tracks, but its biggest and best numbers can match almost anything from the 1990s.

Even though the album's first three singles, Old Before I Die, Lazy Days and South of the Border were fairly successful, the fourth single, Angels, shot Williams to international fame. Reaching number four, it has sold over one million copies in the U.K. and is his biggest-selling single to date. The standout final single, Let Me Entertain You, reached number three. I think this song is the most memorable from Life Thru a Lens, and is it shows Williams’ bravado, showmanship, and playfulness in spades! A relatively slow chart success, Life Thru a Lens debuted at number eleven in the U.K. Following Angels’ success, Life Thru a Lens reached number one in April 1998. His sophomore album, 1998’s I've Been Expecting You, did get to number one and has sold much more (than Life Thru a Lens). If I've Been Expecting You is a stronger album, Life Thru a Lens is important. It was Robbie Williams’ debut solo album, and it was the start of a long career. I think Williams’ first two albums are his very best. Even Life Thru a Lens’ deeper cuts are interesting and worthy of listening.

As I said, I am surprised there aren’t long articles that tell the story of Life Thru a Lens. The debut solo artist from a former member of the biggest boyband of their generation, their most popular member was making his first big musical move since leaving the group in 1995. I think some of the mixed and negative reviews were based around people not liking Robbie Williams or lumping him in with Take That and their feelings for them. Taken a separate work, Life Thru a Lens is superb and filled with great singles and some amazing deeper cuts. The last few tracks are not the best on the album, but there is more than enough gold to keep you entertained and hooked prior to these songs. If some snobbier sources kicked Williams and felt his debut offered nothing, many others have viewed Life Thru a Lens as a very strong and accomplished debut from one of Pop music’s all-time great artists. This is what NME wrote in 1997:

“RARE IS the pop star who finds his true vocation. That's because they're a bunch of moaning, jealous malcontents who always want what everyone else has got. And that's why they're famous in the first place. All pop stars want to be credible rock stars. All credible rock bands secretly want to sell loads of records and shag teenagers. And never the twain shall meet.

Robbie Williams would belong to the former category, were it not for the fact that his blood has always been coloured with a devil-may-care rock'n'roll spirit, and squeezing him into a clean-living pearly-toothed pop product like Take That was like making Paul Gascoigne captain of the Saint Pious The Chaste Church XI. In Take That, he always had the best voice, the best dancey bits, the best looks and, shockingly enough, a personality. Obviously it couldn't last.

And so it came to pass that, while Gary Barlow tried to be Britain's answer to Billy Joel (That answer, by the way Gary, is, 'No thanks you bland tedious schlock merchant') Robbie Williams, as anyone who follows the gossip columns will know, became a glorious celebrity fool. A dribbling, drinking, grinning gibbon who got passed from shoulder to shoulder at parties but was still a good laugh in small doses and probably just wanted to be loved at the end of the day. Contrary to popular belief, this is a perfectly respectable way of behaving for a pop star. You'd never find the '90s breed of cool, calculating copywriters risking making fools of themselves in public, and that is their problem. Robbie, meanwhile, can't help it. If Liam is mad for it, Robbie is insane for it.

That much we know. What hasn't been evident until recently is that Robbie knows all the above only too well. And still can't help it. This new-found self-consciousness, though, makes for a solo album that is often smart, sharp and prickling with personality far beyond the call of teenpop duty.

Sure, he's got a bunch of songwriters and musos in to do the tunesmithing donkey work, but he's moulded them in his own image. I mean, 'Old Before I Die' could be his theme tune. Meanwhile, the title track is a genuinely pithy scattershot at all the phoney sloaney wankers he sees ligging around him, featuring such top lines as, "Just because I ain't double-barrelled doesn't mean I haven't travelled well" and, of course, "Her clothes are very kitsch just because her Daddy's rich." The Pulitzer Prize may be some way off, but these are the kind of dumb-smart lyrics Blur were always a little bit too we-are-clever to write. Alternatively, there's just the disarmingly honest likes of 'Clean' or 'One Of God's Better People'.

Musically, he just about passes his self-imposed credibility exam, with a range of breezy guitar pop (see the singles) and piano ballads expanding to the dilute-to-punk buzz of the title track and loose-limbed Black Grape flavours of 'Ego A Go Go'. Most importantly, though, there are enough tunes, enough point and enough style here to keep this crazy fool in rehab fees for a while yet. Take That and... er, party a bit more.
7/10”.

I am going to round up in a minute. Before then, I want to quote BBC’s review. They actually provide history and background to Life Thru a Lens, in addition to saying how Williams’ sound would shift between his debut and 1998’s I’ve Been Expecting You:

“Robbie Williams had a 1995 to never forget, assuming he was ever in a state capable of recording the events that passed and, ultimately, defined the artist he soon became.

After drifting away from the other four members of all-conquering boyband Take That – his ideas were apparently overlooked by creative spearhead Gary Barlow, and his drug consumption threatened to see him excluded from the group before a mutual decision was finally made and he left relatively amicably – Williams wound up at Glastonbury, and was pap-snapped partying with members of the equally massive Oasis. Gossip columns flew into overdrive, and assumptions that a solo career beckoned were verified quickly enough when, the very next summer, Williams’ take on George Michael’s Freedom charted just a place shy of the top spot – that’s 26 places higher than the 1990 original.

That track didn’t make it onto Williams’ debut album of 1997, a collection of co-writes with Guy Chambers that, while mostly unremarkable when assessed as standalone arrangements, comprise the solid foundations for all that followed: seven further solo albums (2009’s Reality Killed the Video Star marks his return after three years out of the spotlight), several number one singles, more BRIT awards than any other artist, and total sales worldwide of over 55 million.

No single from Life Thru a Lens topped the singles chart in the UK, but the album certainly trumped all comers in its category, buoyed by both the celebrity status of its (co) maker and the catchy nature of whistle-along tunes like Lazy Days, Old Before I Die and the here-I-am-world-stop-me-if-you-can excessiveness of Let Me Entertain You, a song that’s less about collaborative enjoyment of music between artist and audience, and more about Williams puffing out his chest and adopting a swagger that would see him through until the comparatively melancholic overtones of second album, I’ve Been Expecting You”.

On 29th September, we mark twenty-five years of Robbie Williams’ Life Thru a Lens. Take That disbanded in 1996. The group reformed, and Williams briefly re-joined Take That (his first album back with them was 2010’s Progress). Williams and Guy Chambers’ writing partnership is one of the most successful in modern British Pop. It all started with Life Thru a Lens. If Williams did deliver a stronger album in the form of I’ve Been Expecting You, 1997’s Life Thru a Lens is…

A wonderful introduction.

https://www.untitledblog.co.uk/post/alb … hru-a-lens

Reece Bithrey
Mar 24, 2020

Album Of The Week - Robbie Williams - Life Thru A Lens

Following a couple of weeks off from this column, we’re returning with a bang and Robbie Williams’ sterling debut Life Thru A Lens.

Williams’ tenure with Take That had taken him to stardom already, but this solo venture would only propel him further into the limelight and thrust him into superstardom, all with the added bonus of one of the best debut records of the nineties.

Lazy Days get us started, with a rocking sound about youth and optimism and how it’s fundamentally okay to make mistakes during your youth as nobody really cares, even yourself to a point. With such relatable lyrics, you fail to take any notice of the great backing behind Williams’ vocal. It’s similar to Oasis’ debut single Supersonic when discussing individuality and effects of youth, and there’s a bit of Britpop in the instrumental here, with rolling rhythm guitars and heavy drum beats. The album’s title track follows, with a much faster-paced song, seeing Williams jump out the gate with a punchier and more aggressive style that contrasts the album’s opener nicely. There’s a nice element of rebellion as the song’s overwhelming motif, with it giving Williams ample opportunity to mock the rich and different tastes, but also openly make the point that stereotypes just aren’t right. The choice to use an almost punk-like sound is also pretty symbolic, especially considering its status as the guiding torch of counter-culture. It’s certainly a strong opening from the power-duo of Williams and producer Chambers.

Ego Agogo is a direct dig at former Take That bandmate Gary Barlow and to be honest, Williams doesn’t hold back. It’s got this fantastic attitude and taunting nature to it, with the lyrics offering a direct insight into Williams’ feelings about his former bandmate. The whole chorus plays on Barlow’s supposed complacency at the situation that, in Robbie’s eyes, he could ride high off the Take That breakup and leave Williams to it. Williams ultimately rips Barlow to shreds and would leave Barlow in the shadow of such a fabulous solo career, but the two would eventually reconcile and put aside any differences. Angels takes on a completely different sentiment to the rest of the record thus far, portraying a more emotional side to the reckless Williams that would ultimately do him the world of good. It’s his signature song, and notably the one that saved his solo career. Previous singles, such as the previously mentioned Lazy Days had mediocre success, but it once again proves that love songs are the key to the consumer’s heart and they’ll bow down to something soppy over something taunting. Make no bones about it, Angels is a masterpiece, with its smooth guitar and raw lyrics, but there’s something charming about the rebellious nature of the rest of the album.

South Of The Border once again offers Williams’ view on contemporary issues, with this tune choosing to discuss “a freaky young lady named Cocaine Katie” or supermodel Kate Moss to you and I. Where Angels had succeeded, South Of The Border was the point where many thought Williams’ solo career had already fallen flat. It became the first Williams single not to reach the UK Top Ten, and this would last until 2006 with the release of Sin Sin Sin. With all this in mind, it’s a heavy tune with a little bit of funk creeping in too, making it more versatile and appealing than Angels. It’s certainly a song about individuality and making decisions on your own and explains that perfectly, with its brilliant gritty guitar riff and lyrical patterns in a similar way to Walk This Way by Aerosmith and by building on some rock royalty, it just shows this song’s further magnificence. Old Before I Die was Williams’ debut single, mirroring the Britpop sound of the day. It continues the grit and comments on age from previous songs and how the times that we're living are weird and absurd - this certainly seems applicable in the modern age. Otherwise, it's one of this album's standouts, with some great drumming from Chris Sharrock providing a formidable backbone for some gritty guitars and Williams' impressive vocal.

One Of God's Better People offers something a lot lighter than the rocking numbers preceding it, once again showing Williams' emotional side. It's a simple song in reality, talking about his dependence on someone. In this case, it's a song about his mother and how he's grateful for her existence as someone to turn to in times of need. Due its stripped back nature, it's certainly one of the rawer and more powerful songs in Williams' back catalogue. Let Me Entertain You is the absolute antithesis of the raw and emotional One Of God's Better People, offering something seething. It's one of Williams' most popular songs and it's easy to see why. You're getting a whole lot of attitude as Williams wanted to distance himself from the typical boyband persona, as well as continuing that theme of rebellion as he storms through lines on changing identity and protesting.

Killing Me slows things down and brings the acoustic guitar back into the fold, along with some nicely placed strings and subtle electric guitar licks. It's a heavy subject matter given the song's stripped back nature, discussing a broken relationship and its associated emotional turmoil. It's a very Oasis sounding song, especially with the horn section as the song ends and its course to build to something magnificent. Clean brings something a bit more groovy than the preceding tracks, talking of Williams' attempts to clean himself up from the drink and drugs he'd been used to. It turns into something a bit more psychedelic towards the end but normal service is resumed with an extended chorus that turns back into that dreamy outro, reminiscent of some of The Beatles' work on Sgt. Pepper and the Yellow Submarine soundtrack.

The final song of Life Thru A Lens is actually split in two, offering a standalone album track and one of Williams' famous hidden tracks following a long wait. Baby Girl Window is that standalone head-in-the-clouds song, featuring a tribute to a former girlfriend's father, actor Richard Beckinsale from Porridge and Rising Damp, with a light acoustic backing seeming fitting with the nature of the song. It's a lovely number, especially given the inflections of happiness in Williams' vocals that help to bring this song to life. The aforementioned hidden track is Williams' poem Hello Sir, addressed to one of his most hated teachers from school and taunting him due to Williams' success, both in and out of Take That. It's a great summary of his first record - full of youth, exuberance and jibes at other people and the world.

Life Thru A Lens is certainly a record that put Robbie Williams on pop music fans' radars forever, and started to cement his place as one of Britain's finest musical exports. From punk rock to heart-wrenching ballads, this record's got it all.